Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Aid


On Tuesday 17th April, Witeri and I attended a practical 8 hour training day in First Aid at the Te Puke Citizens club.  I was a little hesitant because it was an 8 hour training day of something I have no experience in but when we met with our teacher Rick Hopcroft, he made everything fun, easy and felt like there was no pressure.

Part one covered safe scene management, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), airway obstruction, control of severe bleeding and safe side positioning. 

The second part covered common first aid conditions and how to respond to them. On successful completion of this course we will be awarded a New Zealand Red Cross.

We learned assessment of emergency situations, adult, child and infant resuscitation and choking bleeding, shock, fractures, sprains, burns, poisoning.
My whole day was exciting and also found the training to be so interesting I think everyone would feel the same. 

It is very important to know First Aid. If someone you know were to have an accident or suffer a medical emergency — would you be ready to help?

I know from having babies I have found myself in very scary and vulnerable positions where I felt completely helpless and wasn’t able to identify the problem let alone respond to it immediately. Things like choking, convulsions, burns, poisoning and your everyday first aid for scraps and bleeding every time they fall over definitely prove to be a hassle if you aren’t aware of first aid.
Or maybe you have your mum or dad at home who need full care, first aid is critical especially when dealing with possible heart attacks and strokes.
Maybe you find yourself in an accident before the ambulance get there or seen someone get run over. Maybe a lot of things right??
Are you prepared? I can say I am confident, not an expert but definitely someone who can help in an emergency situation.

Now that I have completed the first aid training, I would recommend everyone to do this.
Get yourself a first aid certificate. You could save a life!

Raven Walker
Admin



No comments:

Post a Comment